Why do I make it so hard to succeed?
As I look over my last post I see that I reference that I was heating up a little bit, probably even a step up the Pepper Scale …… That post was about 5 weeks ago. Today: ‘Here I go again on my own, Goin’ down the only road I’ve ever known’.** I am back to The ‘Tepid’ Tamale. (Maybe I should have made myself The Hot Habanero …… If only it was that easy.)
I have been in a pretty bad slump over the past couple weeks. Mostly the mid-life crisis, the lack of direction, what do I want to do? Who am I? Should I be working toward something, or more focused on enjoying the journey? But, if I decided to work on something, what would that something even be?
What finally pulled me out of this downward spiral? The frustration built up, and then I re-ran across a post on New Escapologist: Plan Your Escape! So, I went through the suggestions, starting with the question: What does it mean to live well?
What does it mean for me to live well?
- Overcome my issues/shortfalls – Grow Up
- Pay the bills without undue stress
- Have freedom of time
- Spend time outdoors (which means a warm climate …..)
- Working on something of significance – (Need to define this ‘significance’)
- Spend time with my family
- Make life an adventure
- Have challenges in life
- Train my children to: love, use their brains, create
- Travel the USA, and then the world
What are the relevant factors that relate to my plans for the future?
- I have poor control of myself, mostly in the work environment
- I have a lack of direction in life (means low motivation)
- I have a lack of focus
- I need $40k (+ health insurance) to pay bills for 12 months
- I have about 6 months savings
- I am good at learning
- My spare time is limited. I work full time, have a family, and am too old to sacrifice ‘everything’ now for ‘something’ later.
Stay tuned, as I move on to Third step, evaluating courses of action. I have to remember, this is not my first slide back, there have been dozens. I am only down when I stay down. Have you ever fallen off your plan? How many times? What did you do?
– I Am Stuck in Life
** – Name that tune in the comments if you can!